But the city is so much more than just a festival. Situated on the Bay of Cannes along a sheltered stretch of the Mediterranean, Cannes boasts wide sandy beaches, a promenade lined with exclusive boutiques and hotels and a night life to match any major cosmopolitan city.
And lying just six minutes away by helicopter from Nice to Cannes, the city makes an excellent choice for a memorable day or evening on the French Riviera.
We have put together a list of ‘must-do’ activities that we would like to recommend to visitors travelling from Nice to Cannes, or from any other resort along the Cote d’Azur:
- Truly indulge yourself by booking a table at Zplage, the beach restaurant-bar of the famous Hotel Martinez on the equally renowned La Croisette. Here you can while the hours away lounging on white-cushioned teak seats beneath white colonial-style umbrellas and sip cocktails or any one of the freshly squeezed juices that the imaginative barmen conjures up. There are also Swedish massages and reflexology sessions on offer for those who want to really unwind. After such a relaxing day you will feel like you’re floating on air as you catch your helicopter from Cannes back to your hotel or villa.
- Wander around the Marché aux Fleurs in the Alleés de la Liberté, which borders the Old Port. Then take a gander around the port, where some of the world’s most luxurious super yachts are berthed. It’s the perfect thing to do to kick start your day after arriving by helicopter.
- Take a boat trip to Ile Ste-Marguerite, a tranquil island which lies just 20 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the coast. Here you can follow pine-lined trails across the island where the enigmatic Man in the Iron Mark was incarcerated in a fort during the 17th century.
- Dine at Le Baoli, one of Cannes’ coolest restaurants. The Baoli is part-club, part-restaurant but the best way to enjoy a night here is to reserve a table for dinner and make a night of it before heading home by helicopter from Cannes.
- Chance your luck at the Palm Beach Casino, one of the leading casinos on the French Riviera. The casino boasts a number of restaurants, a lounge bar and even its own beach so it’s something everyone can enjoy. There is even helicopter access meaning you can be there in six minutes from Nice Cote d’Azur airport.